Rehabilitation Services addresses the needs of consumers whose psychiatric disability requires more intensive intervention than can be provided in a weekly counseling session. Individuals age l8 and over who have a history of psychiatric hospitalizations or who are at risk of being hospitalized participate in flexible, day-long (9am - 3pm) programs of therapeutic group activities and individual consultations.
CBHCare views each Rehabilitation Service consumer as a unique individual and works closely with them to develop a program which addresses specific treatment goals. As part of our overall commitment to a wellness and recovery model of care this may mean:
- preparing for competitive employment
- maintaining their own apartment
- returning to school
- working at a volunteer job
- getting along better with family members
The goal of Rehabilitation Services is to:
- reduce the number and length of our consumers' psychiatric hospitalizations
- enhance their quality of life
- helping consumers reach their highest level of function
- work toward better community integration
- at work
- at school
- in places of worship
- in social settings, etc.
Valley Brook Center - Geriatric Partial Care Program
Older adults (age 60 and up) experiencing psychiatric disabilities and medical problems related to aging benefit from participating in our specialized Geriatric Partial Care Program known as Valley Brook Center in Lyndhurst. This unique service addresses the changing needs of the aging consumer. Download a flyer here. The Valley Brook Center provides:
- increased attention to chronic health problems
- assistance in coordinating medications and treatments for both physical and psychiatric conditions
- age-appropriate social, recreational and vocational activities.
Valley Brook Center's counselors provide a wide variety of therapeutic services and social activities designed to help the older consumer to maintain as high a level of independence as possible. Programming is individualized, providing each consumer with activities that are appropriate to his or her emotional cognitive and physical level of functioning.
Our staff includes:
- a registered nurse certified in gerontology
- a licensed social worker
- an activities therapist
- mental health workers
- a geriatric psychiatrist
- all have extensive training and experience in meeting the special needs of older adults
Adult Partial Care
Each day, nearly 100 Adult Partial Care consumers participate in a wide range of therapeutic groups and activities at our facility in Hackensack:
- Group therapy
- Substance abuse counseling
- Art therapy
- Stress management training
- Medication education and monitoring
- Life skills training in budgeting, healthcare, cooking and shopping
- Vocational awareness workshops
When a consumer enters the Adult Partial Care Program, a thorough psychiatric evaluation and a social work assessment are conducted, and relevant information is obtained from family members and the records of previous treatment.
Using this extensive background history, CBHCare staff work with the consumer to design a treatment plan and a daily schedule of activities. CBHCare's multidisciplinary team of psychiatrists, social workers, nurses, rehabilitation counselors and mental health workers ensures that each consumer benefits from a comprehensive and individualized therapeutic experience.
Participants in both the Adult Partial Care and the Valley Brook Center enjoy a nutritionally balanced lunch daily. Transportation is also provided if needed.